Wednesday, November 26, 2008

People of the Screen

Hey, can you tell I'm on vacation? I actually have time to read this article by Kevin Kelly in the NY Times about the ubiquity of video in our culture, and to think about it, and respond to it! (OK, I know, something's wrong with this picture when I only have time to think on vacation!)

The article compares how the printing press made us eventually "people of the book," and how digital media have become so accessible and manipulable that we will soon have a visual language to match our verbal language, and be able to create, manipulate, annotate, and recreate visual images, video, the way we now do words.

There are many ways to do this now. For example, here is an article, with classroom suggestions, about how to add thought bubbles, captions and hyperlinks to video using Bubbleply.

2 comments:

Susan WB said...

Hey, it's great to see you posting again. Too many of my favorite ed tech blogs have been quiet for a long time now. Keep on blogging!

Marian Thacher said...

Thank you, Susan. I know, I haven't been keeping up lately. I need to retire so I can actually do some real work! :)